Sunday, June 24, 2007

Jenna Gets Married

Desperado, ah, you ain't gettin' no younger.
Your pain and your hunger, they're drivin' you home.
Freedom, oh, freedom. That's just some people talkin'.
You're a prisoner walking through this world all alone.

Don't your feet get cold in the wintertime?
The sky won't snow and the sun won't shine.
It's hard to tell the nighttime from the day.
You're losin' all your highs and lows.
Ain't it funny how the feeling goes away

Desperado, why don't you come to your senses?
Come down from your fences, open the gate.
It may be rainin', but there's a rainbow above you.
You better let somebody love you,
You better let somebody love you,
Before it's too late.

- Don Henley & Glen Frey

My niece, Jenna (the closest thing that I have to a daughter) got married this past Wednesday, to a young Aussie, Michael, who is as likable a fellow as one could hope for. They have plans, these two, and in my opinion, they are at just the right age to assume the risks said plans involve, i.e., they are old enough to make the best of things and, still, young enough to recover if things fall through.

The wedding and the subsequent “cocktail party” style reception was attended by about 30 guests, all of whom seemed to enjoy themselves immensely. The Bride was gorgeous, the Groom was handsome and appropriately deferential, and the food was terrific. The Best Man, Wayne, who flew in from Australia to attend the nuptials, (a flight of some 22 hours), gave a heartfelt speech welcoming Jenna into Michael’s circle of friends and family and the Maid of Honour, Nichole, exhibited that perfect balance between humour and serenity which every nervous bride relies upon to see her through her “special” day.

My brothers and I were, of course, our usual inappropriate selves, ogling Nornie’s breasts, drinking as if there were no tomorrow, ogling Nornie’s breasts, eating as if there were no tomorrow and, oh yes, ogling Nornie’s breasts some more. (I should point out that Doggerel inscribed some pretty “interesting” remarks on Nornie’s breasts for all to see… which, I would contend, contributed to the additional ogling).

In short, it seemed a perfect wedding.

A word about Reverend Bill…

Once again he outclassed the rest of us – but we’ve come to expect that.

A word about Chuck and Henry…

Gracious hosts and a great couple, to say the least, in that they opened their home to the rest of the wedding party, all of whom were in dire need of respite. I truly hope that our acquaintanceship can evolve into friendship. (I should also point out that my wife LOVES the centrepiece!)

As a final note, I must make mention of the fact that I am somewhat ambivalent about my niece getting married. On the one hand, I recognize that she is entitled to whatever happiness she can find for herself. On the other hand, I must confess that I, irrationally, resent “loosing” her.

It’s not that I’m jealous about losing her to another man – it’s just that I don’t want to give her up. And it’s really not about her getting married - it’s just about that the fact that getting married proves she’s growing up. And part of growing up means that she has to leave some things behind – and I’m afraid that I might be one of those things.

No comments: